Monday, January 15, 2007

a little early morning reflection

It 2:30 in the morning and I'm thinking (and not sleeping thanks to coffee), what should this entry be about? Should it be about how I do not like the fact that I am awake at 2:30 in the morning because of a school report? Should it be about how I have been trying to live an optimistic life? Or should it be about how my current relationships with people stand?

I think it should be about what my philosophy teacher asked us last Friday. He told us to think about it and I realized that I never do any homework in Philo, so I might as well do this one. Is life all about getting something out of everything one does (gamitan)? I started out thinking that it is not true. Not everyone competes to get what he wants. There are artists out there who do not care about not getting enough money to live a good life. But then he tries to tell the class that these artists actually do this to get something... and it's happiness. Whatever it is, people want something out of life. Then,I had to think.

I realized that life is about getting something out of what we do. It's about doing what we love to do because it makes us happy. We have friends because they make us happy. It's not about befriending them because we get something out of it (gamitan!). Real friends do not use each other... then you'll tell me they get happiness out of each other. SO?

I think people exist because they are getting something or they want to get something. It can be as small as walking to get to a certain destination, talking to get a way of conversing with others, opening ones eyes to get to see something. It can be as big as having friends to find happiness with each other, to doing what you love most to be happy about yourself. Once we stop getting... we stop functioning. It means we're not thinking anymore. Then once we stop thinking, we stop being real humans.

So what is life and the human person? It is doing. It is through doing that we gain existence. Perfect!

No comments: