Friday, April 06, 2007

compromise

Most of the time, you do not get what you always want. You can force yourself to get it but end up falling short. So what do most people do to satisy their hunger? They find a compromise. That is the answer to most problems in this world. The only problem is that people do not see it as a solution because it seems weak for someone to just give up on something he/she truly wants. I had to write this because I now know that I will never get everything I want. Yeah, it took me this long to realize that. I just had to stop believing in such cliches as: "follow your dreams," "nothing is impossible," or whatever cliche you have deep down in your pocket.

People give inspirational stories of how they became successful. From rags to riches is what some people would call their life story. But when you think about it, how many people actually achieve that?? How many Lucio Tan's or Henry Sy's or Gokongwei's can you have? Not that many. So we have to compromise. Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that there is no hope in this world. I still believe in luck just as much as that construction worker lining up with hopes of winning the lottery. But let's be realistic, luck is an occurence that does not happen daily. We still have to work hard just to earn a living. The point here is, everything in this world is a compromise. My parents want me to be a doctor? I want to do theatre? Well, I'll just be an anesthesiologist so that I will have a lot of free time.

Just like anything, friendships are compromises. We can't be friends with everyone or at least be equally close to everyone. Some people will disappear from our lives sooner or later and some will stay. That's the compromise we have to take. We can't have everything. That's life.

No comments: